Chianciano Terme history dates back to the 5th century BC.
When the Etruscans built a temple dedicated to the god of Good Health, close to the Silene springs where the newer quarter of Chianciano (the Terme section) stands today.
News of the curative power of Chianciano’s water became well known during Roman times, as Horace visited the area on the advice of his physician during the 1st century BC. Luxurious Roman villas were built in the area near the thermal baths.
There is little archaeological evidence of much activity during the Middle Ages. By the 12th and 13th centuries, Chianciano belonged to the Manenti Counts, Lords of Sarteano. Its position close to the Via Francigena (the medieval main connection from Rome to France) fostered its development, and Chianciano reached a degree of judicial autonomy by 1287 when it established its own statutes.
In the 14th century, the city-states of Orvieto and Siena contended for it with Siena being the ultimate victor
The first decades of the 20th century saw the area around the springs (the Terme section) draw the attention of developers. Between 1920 and 1930 neoclassical establishments with Pompeian-style bowers were built, then destroyed in 1940 when the Fascist-controlled state took possession. While under state control, a new town plan was designed by architects Loreti and Marchi, who also designed some spas in the Acqua Santa Park. The town plan was adjusted by the Town Technical Office of Chianciano in 1958 and passed in 1961.
It is worth spending a day at the Chianciano thermal baths that are divided into sensory spas and the historic Theia thermal pools, even curative tours can be scheduled for one-week treatments dedicated to care and relaxation.